12 week program
Close to a quarter of adults in Australia and New Zealand now have raised blood sugar levels or are at risk of developing diabetes – and most don’t know it.
Anyone wanting to prevent and reverse Type 2 Diabetes and stay off medication, should consider a strong focus on managing their blood sugars.
New research shows it is possible for people diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes within the last four years to come off medication and achieve normal blood sugars within just eight weeks.
Could you have raised blood sugar or be at risk of developing diabetes?
Type 2 Diabetes is becoming a world wide epidemic. We are ALL at risk. Take careful note if you:
- are overweight or obese;
- have a family history;
- are of certain ethnic backgrounds; or
- suffer from a variety of medical conditions such as Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
One of the key factors contributing to the development of Type 2 Diabetes is being overweight or obese. Currently around 60% of Australians are classified as either overweight or obese and around 280 Australians develop Diabetes every day. Around 1.7 million Australians have diabetes and 2 million pre diabetes.
If you are overweight or obese, are suffering from tiredness, lethargy or frequent urination then we strongly recommend that you undertake a simple blood test to check your sugar levels.
Are you overweight or obese?
Your BMI (Body Mass Index) is an indicator. Start by weighing yourself (in kg) and measuring your height (in metres). Calculate your BMI: weight / (height x height)
Results between 25 – 30 indicate you are overweight. Results over 30 indicate you are obese.
Your waist circumference is also an important indicator. It can be a sign of excessive body fat. Simply measure your waist at the level of the belly button.
If your waist measurement is more than half your height then it is an indicator that you are carrying too much body fat and are at increased risk.
What you can expect on our program
A 12 week online program with medical support
All patients wanting to achieve weight loss and reverse their blood sugar are invited to join a closed, private forum. The forums are monitored by a team of health professionals, including doctors, who are experienced in answering your questions and helping members achieve their goals. Other members of the team will give advice through the forum. The forum is also a safe and secure environment where you can share your stories, challenges and success with other people going through similar issues.
Weekly contact from the team
Each week you will receive advice and tips from our experts guiding you through the diet. This will include practical advice on preparation for the diet, shopping, meal plans, recipes and how to achieve success in 12 weeks. Also included will be hints and tips on how to overcome the challenges that our doctors have seen previously in their patients. This information will be sent out in email format with both written and video clips included.
Information for your doctor
Our team have supported many patients safely through the diet and have seen great results. That is why we are keen to help many more. Not all doctors are aware of the research on which this program is based or experienced in implementing it. Our doctors are very happy to communicate directly with your usual GP via email to discuss any questions they may have. Additionally, your usual doctor is welcome to access the “Health Professionals” tab in order to learn more about the research as well as practical advice on how to support patients through the diet. This link allows your GP to contact us.
Direct medical support from one of our doctors
Our doctors are experienced in helping people lose weight and achieve success on the diet. General advice will be provided by them on the forums however, individual advice cannot be given in the forum for both confidentiality and safety reasons where medication and interpretation of results is involved. We recommend speaking to your own doctor about the diet although we do offer personalised, individual consultations with our doctors. This can be carried out by email consultation initially although in future we aim to provide video consultations.
Arranging medical tests
We suggest that you see your own doctor when considering the diet and they should be able to help you arrange appropriate testing. We can recommend and provide a variety of tests, ranging from simple blood tests to more sophisticated tests such as DEXA scanning and ultrasound. We will also provide you with an interpretation of the results in the context of your overall health. For further information please see our Getting Tested page.
Why the Blood Sugar Diet Online Program?
When you sign up to the Program you will join a community of members who are working to either prevent or reverse Type 2 Diabetes. Others may have struggled with their weight and would like to regain control of their health. It is a motivating and compelling environment.
In addition, you will:
- Discover what food portions should look like.
- Learn the types of foods that support your blood sugar balance.
- Experience increased energy.
- Enjoy better sleep.
- Understand why and how raised blood sugar levels is one of the greatest silent epidemics of our time.
- Practice strategies for implementing the blood sugar diet in your everyday life.
Our 12-week program highlights
- A doctor-monitored private forum with your cohort community.
- Recommended clinical assessments to help monitor your progress.
- Weekly motivational emails and inspirational videos to keep you moving forward.
- An evidence-based program developed and implemented by doctors and health professionals passionate in this field of medicine.
- 8 weeks of BSD-approved meal plans and shopping lists.
- Exclusive recipes available only to members of the program.
- A tailored journal to help you process your experiences and monitor your progress.
This online program is a short, sharp and effective solution to blood sugar problems and it is based on scientific trials. It is a “how to guide” that will result in weight loss, improved health and importantly it will get your blood sugars under control. And we do all this with tasty, wholesome, easy-to-prepare food.
Your questions answered here:
The BSD program has had great success in Australia where it has been running for the past year. We have received a huge demand from the UK for the program and thus the recent change in pricing to pounds.
Our comprehensive program has been designed to help you and your partner achieve significant life-long health benefits in a matter of months and we are thrilled that so many UK and Australian members have been able to share in the diet and forums with success.
1. Standard Package*
Support Forum as well as weekly contact and support from our team, including 8 BSD-approved menus, recipes and shopping lists:
Price in pounds: £149 for 12 week program.
* The EarlyBird Sale price is £99 pounds for the full 12-week program. That’s around £8 per week! For our Australian friends, this equates to approximately $13AUD per week!
2. Medical tests – DEXA Scan
Includes arranging tests, interpreting results and providing you with a copy of the test results relevant to you. Prices are dependent upon location and test. Please click the getting tested link to make your request.
The program goes for twelve consecutive weeks and you will have full access to the private forum throughout this time. Please review the section, “What you can expect from this program” (above) for more information on the structure of the program.
The Blood Sugar Diet is founded on the principles of the Mediterranean diet. There is a heavy emphasis on fruit, vegetables, oily fish, nuts and olive oil. Throughout the program there are plenty of meal suggestions that include chicken as your primary meat source however, there are also small amounts of steak, lamb and pork.
Well that depends what your usual exercise is! For those not doing much exercise at all then rest assured that our recommendations will not leave you tired or hungry. It should improve your mood and make the diet easier. You will start by standing up more and increasing the amount you walk. You will also start resistance and strength-building exercises. And finally you will be introduced to a cardio program that will significantly improve your aerobic fitness, the strength of your heart and lungs. It is only required a few minutes a week.
Whilst exercise is always encouraged the calorific decrease recommended by the diet can make exercise very difficult, particularly at the beginning of the diet. The amount of exercise people usually do and can do on the diet will vary greatly between individuals.
Our recipes are designed for your success! Being aware of what you are eating is a critical strategy for taking responsibility for your health and as such you are encouraged to prepare your own food as much as possible. There are a variety of options that suit both the keen cook and the novice.
No, you don’t have to give up any of these whilst on the diet although, obviously, we would certainly advise everyone to stop smoking as soon as possible, irrespective of their blood sugars.
Coffee and alcohol are still allowed on the diet although the calories in both of these drinks needs to be included in the daily calorie limit and alcohol is highly calorific. For instance a pint of beer or large glass of wine contain 180 calories so really best avoided or keep to the very minimum.
You SHOULD NOT do a low calorie / fasting diet if you are:
- Underweight and/or have a history of an eating disorder
- Under 18 years of age
- Diagnosed with a significant psychiatric disorder
- Frail or recovering from surgery
- Under active investigation or treatment or have a significant medical condition affecting ability to comply with diet and / or
- On certain medications
- A Type 1 diabetic
- Unwell or have a fever
You should also confirm with your doctor that you really are a type 2 diabetic as there are other rarer forms of diabetes that will not respond in the same way to weight loss.
Use CAUTION doing a low calorie / fasting diet & DISCUSS WITH DOCTOR if any of the following apply:
- On insulin – detailed assessment & education by health professional to plan a suitable reduction in medication/insulin to avoid a drop in blood sugar.
- Type 1 diabetics and those who have other, rarer forms of the disease, like pancreatic or monogenic diabetes will not respond in the same way to weight loss.
- Those who are frail or have a significant underlying medical condition should speak to their doctor first, as they would before embarking on any weight-loss regime.
- If you have type 2 diabetes and are on medication, then we would advise you to speak to your doctor before starting as it will be necessary to adjust your medication.
- If you are on blood pressure medication this may need to be reduced.
- If you are on diabetic medication with hypoglycaemia unawareness, so you cannot tell if you have a ‘hypo’ when your sugar level drops.
- If you have moderate or severe retinopathy you will need extra screening within 6 months (as retinopathy can sometimes get worse when blood sugar improves).
- Those with a significant psychiatric history in the past.
- People taking particular medications eg Warfarin.
- People with epilepsy (though there is some evidence that diet can improve epilepsy).
- Discuss other medications with doctor first.
- Pregnancy. Clearly avoiding fasting/low calorie diets is wise, however if there is a risk of (or previous history of) Gestational diabetes, The Blood Sugar Way of Life might be a suitable alternative.
Please read this handout (pdf) for additional information.
Other medical conditions will not necessarily stop you doing the program and indeed, going on the program may well actually be of benefit in treating those conditions. It is very dependent upon the medical condition suffered and that is why we encourage ALL patients planning to enter the program and go on the diet to speak to their usual doctor before starting the diet.
Our doctors and support staff have experience in this diet as well as implementing changes in the context of other medical conditions. We are therefore all very prepared to support you, your partner and indeed your usual treating doctor in achieving success in beating your blood sugar however, our aim is to work as part of the team and not to replace your usual supervising doctor.
This program includes educational content that is designed to build upon itself. What’s more, creating the momentum from your efforts each consecutive week is what will achieve results. We are unable to “pause” your program once your cohort has begun.
- Forums are private and are for use only by paid members of the cohort.
- Your privacy is important to us and as such we aim to protect this information. We recommend you do not disclose any personal information eg. date of birth or personal address.
- We further recommend you choose a Forum name that will protect your anonymity but you can clearly identify for yourself.
- Members are encouraged to provide your personal statistics including height, weight, waist circumference and blood results such that your cohort colleagues can share in and support your progress. Sharing this information is optional.
- Members are welcome to post as often or as little as they like. Discussion regarding any aspect of the diet, hints, tips, recipes are encouraged to support members of the forum.
- Comments made by supporting doctors and advisors are general in nature. Specific details about drug dosing and medical conditions will not be provided directly on the forum. Individual medical advice including details about medication and dosing can be supported by direct, individual “consults” with a Doctor as part of the 12 week on line support program outside of the forum, or by your usual GP.
- Doctors and trained BSD advisors will monitor the forum regularly.
- We will not tolerate any forum comments that are in any way abusive, aggressive or derogatory . Any such postings will be removed immediately and the user’s account closed with no recourse for refund of fee paid.
- Importantly, everyone involved in this program including all BSD medical team supporting the site are determined to help you achieve your blood sugar and health goals.